Hello my lovelies! This current lockdown (we’re now in a newly created Tier 4 and Christmas / New Year is effectively cancelled) has got me thinking, probably more than is healthy for me, but thoughts are running wild nonetheless. This has been the strangest, most upsetting year in memory (yes, an overarching understatement if ever there was one) and for a while, I was getting caught up with focussing on the negatives. But as the year draws to a close and there’s hope and light at the end of the tunnel with a vaccine to kill the virus, it’s time to focus on the positives to get us through.
I wrote a long and rather wordy Instagram post today (follow me HERE), which was probably better suited to a blog post, so I thought I’d share it with you here, in case it rings true for any of you too.
“Happiness can be found even in the darkest of time, if only one remembers to turn on the light”
I think we’re all agreed, these are pretty dark times we’re facing, and have been for most of this year. BUT, in the words of JK Rowling, ‘turn on the light”… the only way through this is to focus on the positives, no matter how small they might be.
I haven’t seen my sister in exactly a year – this day 12 months ago, I was travelling back from Stockport from a pre-Christmas visit, and this year, she was due to visit me for lunch on the 27th, but obviously, that’s being relegated to a zoom-do. Still, I know I’m so lucky to have my husband and 3 children, so although this isn’t going to be the Christmas we’d hoped and planned, still, at least we’ll have the five of us.
BUT – there are so many that have been waiting for the festive holiday season (whether you believe in Christmas or not) as a time to finally see loved ones and make human contact again, and that’s been so cruelly taken away at such short notice by this inhuman virus, so I’m sending you all a big hug from me in my fluffy teddy bear coat. 🤩
Let’s focus on the little positives and wins to get through this brutish time… of course, there’s a flip-side to almost every positive, but let’s stick to the good stuff! – Tell me what’s been getting you through this too:
- Quality time spent with my son before he headed off to university – which I’d never have had if he’d been studying for his A’Levels.
- Likewise, bonding even more with my teenage daughters – no mean feat, I promise!
- Had my husband at home ALL YEAR – again, no mean feat, as his business means he’s normally travelling all over the world, so it’s been like a dream to have him at home with me.
- Used the garden more this year than I have the other twenty years we’ve been living here in this house! (Sounds like I’m making it up, but it’s true!)
- Got on with my Personal Trainer qualification – so much more time on my hands, I had no excuse not to.
- Created a fitness and weight loss programme and even an app on the App Store – I’ve had 24 women go through my programme with huge success!
- Copious baking, including, yes, the ubiquitous banana bread a few times.
- Lots of walks with lots of friends, – a great way to meet, catch up with each other and stay fit! Hoping and planning to keep that going.
- Discovered some great new Netflix shows – pls tell me your faves too!
- Finally slowed down my lifestyle (we’ve had no choice, right?!) and I’ve discovered I don’t have to be living at 100mph.
Stay stay, stay positive, (whenever you can, and when you can’t, I hope you have good friends you can turn to and depend on – we WILL get through this ♥️